Making Openness Work for Kids and Families Webinar
Openness in Adoption with Pat Convery, RSW
- Prospective and adoptive families, foster families and the professionals who work with them
Goal: To give an overview of Openness in Adoption from the perspective of benefits and challenges for all members of the family – birth family member, adopted child and adoptive parents. Additionally, to provide some tools and strategies for professionals and families to consider in making initial openness plans and navigating through challenges. Original date: March 2019.
- Discuss the importance of being well-informed about openness in adoption, pre and/or post-placement
- Review the benefits and challenges of maintaining birth family connections after adoption
- Provide an understanding of basic principles and elements to consider in making decisions about the level of openness that will be appropriate for a family
- Give concrete tips and strategies to help in making openness plans before placement and navigating challenges that arise along the way