Support for Kinship Families
Pathways to Permanence 2
This program is designed for Ontario-based adoptive families who are parenting children who have experienced trauma and loss. The program empowers parents and caregivers to apply tools and techniques to effectively parent their children and help them heal.
Check out our new flyer that outlines how Pathways can be helpful for Kinship families and next steps for starting a Kinship session!
Video Series for Kinship Families
Watch a four-part video training series specifically designed for Kinship Families: Coping with the Unique Challenges of Kinship Care With Joseph Crumbley. Watch here.
Video Series for Professionals Working with Kinship Families
Watch a five-part video training series specifically designed for Professionals working Kinship families: Engaging Kinship Caregivers With Joseph Crumbley. Watch here.
Important 2021 Announcement from Ontario Government
Ontario Increasing Funding for Kinship Service, Adoption and Customary Caregivers
$2.95 million investment covering expenses supporting the well-being of children and youth.
The Ontario government is taking additional steps to help provide vulnerable children and youth with stable, nurturing homes by investing more than $2.95 million to help support kinship service and customary caregivers, adoptive parents and legal custody guardians. These new funds will assist in better preparing caregivers to welcome children and youth in their homes and provide ongoing help with expenses like clothing, beds, school supplies and medical services.
Read more about the announcement from Children, Community and Social Services here.
Books & Websites
- Hey Kiddo by Jarrett J. Krosoczka (2018)
- Empowering Grandparents Raising Grandchildren. Cox, C. B. (2000)
- Grandparents as Parents, A Survival Guide for Raising a Second Family. Toledo, S. (1995)
- Raising Our Children’s Children. Doucette-Dudman, D. (1997)
- Relatives raising children: An overview of kinship care. Crumbley, J., & Little, R.L. (1997)
- Tear soup: A recipe for healing after loss. Schwiebert, P, & DeKlyen, C. (1999)
- Ticklebelly Hill: Grandparents Raising Grandchildren. Osborne, H. (2003)
- About Kinship Care (Child Welfare Information Gateway)
- What is Kinship Care? (The Annie E. Casey Foundation)
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren (HelpGuide)
- Grandparents raising grandchildren: Social support needed (McMaster)
- Grandparents raiding grandchildren: Social support needed – Full Article (McMaster)
- Kinship (OACAS)
- Kinship Families: Keeping Kids Connected (OACAS)
- How kinship families are improving child welfare outcomes for children and families in Ontario (OACAS)